These widely popular hot chocolate bombs are decorated like Unicorns for a fun and colorful twist. See just how easy they are to make! Inside they’re filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- 10-ounce (283g) white chocolate bar or 1 bag Ghirardelli melts (reserve 2 ounces of decoration)
- 6 tablespoons powdered hot chocolate mix
- Mini Marshmallows
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 4 ounces of chocolate at 50% power in 20 second increments. Stirring each time until melted and smooth.
- Coat the cavities of the mold one at time. Put a spoonful of melted chocolate in each cavity and swirl it around to coat the outside. If it’s thin, add additional chocolate then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. (note this could take longer depending on thickness). Melt additional chocolate if needed.
- Boil about ¾ cups of water either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Place a plate overtop of the measuring cup to warm the plate.
- Remove the chocolate shells from the mold. Press the one shell on your heated plate briefly to heat the edges. Quickly flip over the shell and place it in the cupcake wrapper.
- Fill the shell with 1 tablespoon of Hot Chocolate mix and a couple of mini marshmallows. Do not over stuff.
- Repeat step 4 and gently press the two shells together, being careful not to press too hard so you don’t crack your bottom shell. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Melt 2 ounces of chocolate in the microwave as indicated above.
- Unicorn Horn: Separate the unicorn horn from the sprinkle mix. Dip a unicorn horn in melted chocolate and position on the top center of the head.
- Unicorn Ears: Using a sharp knife, cut a chocolate chip in half to form 2 ears. Drop a little bit of melted white chocolate on the bottom of the chocolate chip and attach ears on either side of the horn.
- Sprinkle Mane: To make the sprinkle mane, dip a toothpick in white chocolate and paint a triangle pointing down on the unicorn head. Immediately cover with sprinkles. Repeat on the backside of the head.
- For the eyes: Mix approximately 2 teaspoons of melted white chocolate with tiny drop black food coloring and blend until well combined. To add small amounts of the black gel, I recommend putting a drop on your plate and then mixing it in with a toothpick. To draw the eyes, use a toothpick.
- Allow the hot chocolate bombs to sit until all the melted chocolate has set. Serve or package as a gift.
- Place a chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug. Heat milk in the microwave until desired consistency, pour warm milk over the chocolate bomb. Stir until combined. Serve with whipped cream. Top with leftover sprinkles.
- Here’s the silicone mold I used. It makes 2″ size bombs.
- If the white chocolate is too thick: Add melted coconut oil or vegetable oil 1 teaspoon at a time and stir until desired consistency.
- How to store: Store in a cool dry place until ready to use. They can be kept in an airtight container for 1 week
- Doubling this recipe: This recipe makes 6 hot chocolate bombs, because you need two halves and the mold has 6 cavities, so you can make three at a time. If you would like to make more, I recommend making them one batch at a time rather than doubling the chocolate as you will have to continue melting the chocolate and eventually it can discolor.
- Types of chocolate to use: You can use milk, white or dark chocolate. High quality chocolate bars are best. Chocolate chips can be used, but they do not melt down as smoothly and can produce a different finish.
- Additional tip for sealing: If you find the method with the heated plate is not warm enough to remelt the edge of the chocolate sphere, try warming a skillet on the stovetop.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Unicorn dessert, Hot Chocolate Bombs, Unicorn Hot Chocolate bombs