Make the best chocolate cutout sugar cookies for every occasion! These easy cutout cookies are perfect for frosting and decorating.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ¾ cups (210g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¾ cups (60g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until the sugar is dissolved and creamy.
- In a small glass dish, dissolve the baking soda in 2 tablespoons of milk. Add the baking soda/milk, vanilla, and egg to the butter. Beat until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. As the dough thickens, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Form 2 softball size balls of dough. Flatten and wrap tightly in plastic wrap then chill in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and roll the dough out on a surface dusted with a mix of half flour and half cocoa powder. Roll dough about ¼” thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut the shapes and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate once cooled.
- Frosting: These can be frosted with either vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream, Or even sugar cookie icing
- Baked Cookies: Frosted or unfrosted cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Freezing dough: unbaked cookie dough will freeze well for 1 month.
- Freezing baked cookies: Cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Freezing frosted cookies: First flash freeze in a single layer until the frosting is frozen. Then they can be stacked with layers of parchment paper. Thaw in a single layer to prevent damage to the frosting.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate sugar cookies, chocolate cut out cookies, chocolate cookies