Adorable Easter Bunny Cupcakes with chocolate bunny ears. They’re a homemade fluffy coconut cupcakes with coconut buttercream.
For the cupcakes
- ¾ cups (143g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (59ml) sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (158ml) coconut milk, well stirred
For the frosting
- 1 cup(226g) unsalted butter, cold
- 3 cups (390g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon(5ml) coconut extract (additional to taste)
- 1 tablespoon(15ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk or coconut milk)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 bag (7oz) shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- Brown mini M&M or Chocolate Chips
- Pink Sixlets or Sugar Pearls
- 1 bag (10oz) Ghirardelli white candy melts
- Pink Food coloring
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs sour cream and extracts. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the coconut milk at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the frosting:
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until the butter looks light in color and has increased in volume.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then continuing adding additional powdered sugar, alternating with the extracts and heavy cream. After each additional cup of powdered sugar, beat for about 60 seconds on medium-high or until the powdered sugar is well combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
Prepare the bunny ears (download template here):
- Melt half of the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power in 30 second intervals; stir after each interval and continue until chocolate is melted. Reduce microwave time as needed so the chocolate does not burn.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper over top of the template, tape down. Fit a small piping bag with a size 4 piping tip or cut off the very tip of the bag. Pipe the outside of the bunny ears. Allow the chocolate to set.
- Melt another ¼ cup of white chocolate, add a small drop of pink gel color and stir to combine. Fill the middle of the ears. Gently tap the tray on the table to gently spread and flatten the chocolate. Remove any air bubbles with a toothpick. Allow the chocolate to set completely, then carefully remove each ear.
Frost the cupcakes:
- Fill a large piping bag bitted with an open round tip (Ateco 808 or similar). Or cut off the end of the piping bag about 1 inch up from the bottom. Hold the bag at 90 degrees above the cupcake and pipe the frosting.
- Place the shredded coconut in a bowl and roll the cupcake in the coconut, gently pushing the coconut into the cupcake. Then place the eyes and nose on the cupcake then the ears.
- Sour cream: plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- Coconut milk: use regular milk
- Heavy whipping cream (frosting): can be subbed with milk or coconut milk
Cupcake flavor alternatives
If you don’t love coconut, you could make these with my vanilla cupcakes or yellow cupcakes. You could even make them with a chocolate cupcake base. For the frosting, I would suggest my vanilla buttercream.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easter cupcakes, Easter dessert, Coconut cupcakes