I’ve told you before, multiple times probably, that I love boozy desserts. This time I am bringing a little booziness to the poke cake. I have become quite fond of the poke cake. They are just so easy to make, and lets face it, they taste amazing. Today I share the Mudslide Poke Cake with you. It’s got some coffee baked into the cake, a shot a Bailey’s Irish liquor and Kahlua all mixed with a chocolate cake. As much as I would like to throw the term “winning” out there, I think it’s probably an irrelevant term at this point. Yes? No? You tell me.
For the Mudslide Poke cake, I baked and regular boxed chocolate cake mix, but I replaced the water with a strong brewed coffee. Replacing the water for coffee does nothing but add awesomeness to your cake. They say that the coffee actually enhances the chocolate flavor, but who am I to say if that is true? You can’t taste the coffee in the cake, so don’t be afraid of this substitution! I soaked this cake in a Bailey’s infused chocolate ganache and then topped it with what I’m calling mudslide mousse.
You don’t need a huge bottle of liquor for this cake. You will need one of those tiny bottles of Khalua, and two tiny bottles of Baileys. I call them nips, they are the bottle you get when you order a drink on an airplane; because that’s fun. Follow along.
- Bake the cake according to the instruction on the box in a 9x13” pan. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While your cake is cooling, prepare your ganache. In a heat proof bowl, combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Place on top of a pot of simmering water on medium high heat.
- Allow the chocolate to begin to melt and stir with a whisk to combine. Whisk until chocolate and cream are completely melted and mixed together.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in 1 tablespoon of Baileys liquor.
- Take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Drizzle the ganache over top of the cake.
- In a separate bowl, combine the instant chocolate pudding and milk together. Whisk until well combined. Before the pudding sets, while it is still pourable, dump the pudding over top of the cake and spread with a spatula if necessary.
- Allow the pudding and cake to set in the fridge for at least an hour. In the meantime, you can prepare your mousse.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chocolate pudding mix with the milk and liquors. Whisk together until combined. Put in the fridge to set while your cake is setting as well.
- Once your cake is ready, remove the mousse from the fridge. Use a spatula to fold in an entire container of cool whip.
- Spread the mousse over top of cake. I topped the cake with additional chocolate shavings.
Ok, I am kinda freaking out about this cake. Actually, I would be perfectly happy with a huge bowl of mudslide mousse too. If you like poke cakes, check out my other poke cakes below. This post is linked up to the Marvelous Mondays Link Party as well.