Thin Mint Brookies

Thin Mint Brookies | beyondfrosting.com | #thinmint #girlscoutcookies

Girl Scout Cookie Season is upon us, and I for one could not be more excited. I may be jumping the gun here, but I really just couldn’t wait to share this recipe with you. As a child, I participated in Girl Scouts until I was “too cool” around 4th or 5th grade. That doesn’t mean I stopped buying the cookies though! It’s incredibly hard to resist those adorable little girls outside of the store asking “do you want to buy some cookies?” Umm YES PLEASE. Thin Mints are hands down my favorite, it just doesn’t get better than that. So when I overload my freezer with Thin Mints every year, I need an excuse to get rid of them. As such, the Thin Mint Brookie was born.

Thin Mint Brookies | beyondfrosting.com | #thinmint #girlscoutcookies

When I saw these Red Velvet Brookies from Ashton, I immediately started drooling. They were so beautiful! Having never made a brookie myself, I was quite intrigued. This recipe combines a fudgy brownie with a chocolate chip cookie loaded with mint chocolate chips and Thin Mint cookies. I found a bag of mint chocolate chip cookies at Walmart, and since mint chocolate is my favorite flavor combination, I picked up a few bags. If you can’t find them, just substitute regular chocolate chips. For added mint flavor in this recipe, substitute one of the two teaspoons of vanilla extract for mint extract.

Thin Mint Brookies | beyondfrosting.com | #thinmint #girlscoutcookies

For the chocolate chip cookie, I modified my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from Picky Palette. This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. Of coarse, you can make it easier on yourself by using some prepared refrigerated cookie dough from the store, but I love the softness of the cookie made from the dough I use.  This brookie is one of those “red light” desserts for me – meaning I had to get rid of them immediately after photographing in fear of eating the whole pan myself. Fact.

Keep up with all the happenings. Follow Beyond Frosting

• 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
  • 1¾ C All-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Baking soda
  • ⅔ C Mint chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Empty one sleeve of thin mints into a Ziploc bag. Crush cookies into smaller pieces using a rolling pin or wooden spoon. Set aside.
  3. In a medium sized bowl, combine brownie mix, egg, vegetable oil and milk. Beat until thoroughly mixed.
  4. Line a 9x13” pan with parchment paper or a baking mat. Pour brownie mixture over the baking mat and spread evenly. Empty crushed cookies onto the top of the brownie mixture and spread evenly.
For the cookie
  1. Soften butter in the microwave 10-15 seconds. Combine butter with both light brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix until smooth and mixture becomes fluffy.
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until egg is thoroughly incorporated.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add flour mixture to dough batter while mixing at a low speed. Once all the flour has been added, increase speed to medium until dough forms. Add mint chocolate chips last and fold into cookie dough.
  4. Take the cookie dough and drop chunks onto the top of the brownie mixture, gently pressing them down into brownie batter.
  5. Bake for 23-25 minutes at 350°F. Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting. Since I used a baking mat, I was able to completely remove the sheet of brookies from the pan before cutting.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 20 bars

You might also like:

Samoa Cupcake Shooters

Thin Mint Cookie Cakes

Join 2,061 other subscribers

Comments

1. says

I’m so excited for Girl Scout cookie season too! I already have some stashed in my room so no one else can have them, haha. These brookies look wonderful and I love that you used Thin Mints in them! Very creative use of Girl Scout cookies. :)
    Beth @ bethcakes recently posted…Strawberry Fudge CakeMy Profile

• Beyond Frosting says

You too Heather! I am so glad I got a chance to meet you! Hopefully one day I can make it up there and get together with everyone for some coffee and cupcakes!

2. says

Julianne, these bars are just genius! I was in the GS, too. In fact, I remember when my house was the house to hold all of the orders in for a few of the troops. There was a huge semi truck that dropped off loads of cases of cookies! We lived in a little farm town… so it was pretty funny to see the truck unloading at our house. Everyone would drive by and stop to watch. hehe
    I’m going to have to save some cookies to make these bars!
    Gloria // Simply Gloria recently posted…Lazy Daisy Peanut Butter Oatmeal CakeMy Profile

• Beyond Frosting says

WHAT?! That sounds awesome! I remember that the delivery of cookies came to a local church and then we had to sort them out by troop and each troop had to come and pick up their boxes. Of coarse, we sold door to door and after leftover boxes, we sold at the grocery store check out.

3. says

I guess I never got “too cool” (or cool at all, really) because I was a girl scout all the way through high school and then was my daughter’s brownie leader for three years! Girl scout cookies are a permanent part of my genetic makeup by now! :) I love your recipes using girl scout cookies, Julianne!!! I buy a LOT of boxes. After we eat a few and donate a few, there are still boxes left. Using the cookies inside another dessert makes them irresistible again! Thin mints are everyone’s favorite so these Brookies are sure to be a favorite too. Now I just have to hold out until the cookies are delivered!
    Wendy recently posted…Rose Bud Butter CookiesMy Profile

• Beyond Frosting says

Thank you Wendy. Right around 5th grade I decided that I was done with girl scouts and some other personal stuff was going on. Anyhow, I wish I had stuck with it longer

4. says

Okay ladies, here is a tip for you.
    WalMart sells a Great Value version of Thin Mints. Priced at about 1.28 a pack. Guess what? Equally as good if not better than girl scout cookies (they have a generic tag along too!) So you could make this year round.

Thanks for linking up to Tip Me Tuesday linky party this week. {knuckle bumps}
    Did you know that I can “lend” your blog posts my Google page rank for better search engine traffic?
    {fabulous}
    If you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room, you’ll be in business!
    {wink} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}

5. says

These look so amazing. I saw them over at “time to sparkle link party” and I can’t wait to make them. Thin mints are so yummy and so dangerous to have around the house. Thanks for sharing!

6. says

This is a potent page. Are you perhaps interested in the outdoors, camping or fishing? We love to fish in our local lakes and also do a bit of surf fishing in the sea. If you are interested in fishing please be so kind to see this. You’ll view a fabulous fishing site.

Trackbacks