This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This classic Banana Bread recipe makes a super moist, soft, and sweet loaf. Tender and loaded with flavor, there’s a reason that it’s such a popular breakfast idea!
The Best Homemade Banana Bread
Banana Bread is one of the most comforting baked goods. It’s soft and sweet, with just a hint of banana flavor. Plus, with just 10 minutes of prep time, it’s also very easy to make (and very easy to make ahead of time!). It’s great as a grab-and-go breakfast, snack, or an addition to any weekend brunch spread.
This homemade quick bread is one recipe that I just can’t stop eating. Probably ate an entire loaf to myself when I was testing this recipe. The moist and tender consistency has me slicing pieces off all day long. Trust me when I say that this loaf will be gone before you know it.
What You’ll Need
Most of the ingredients for this bread are probably already in your pantry. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Mashed Bananas: Be sure to choose bananas that are quite ripe with some brown spots. They’ll be softer and sweeter!
- Oil: I used vegetable oil but you could also use olive oil.
- Butter: Unsalted
- Milk: You could also use soy milk or almond milk.
- Sugar: I used regular sugar, but you could also use light brown sugar if you wanted to add a touch of caramel flavor.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
How to Make Banana Bread
Banana Bread is both simple and easy to make. Here’s everything you’ll need to do:
Prepare your equipment. Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease a 9-inch loaf pan, setting aside once that’s done. Feel free to line it with parchment paper (this will help prevent the bread from sticking once it’s done baking).
Combine the wet ingredients. Using either a potato masher or a fork (the potato masher is usually easier), peel and mash the bananas. Once mashed, combine the mashed bananas with the oil, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Then, beat everything together until it’s all thoroughly combined. When that’s done, add the sugar and continue beating until it’s well incorporated.
Combine the dry ingredients and add them to the batter. In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until combined. Afterward, add the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat just until it starts to combine (beating too much will cause the bread to be tough and chewy). To finish incorporating the flour, just continue to stir the mixture with a spatula.
Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean). Allow the bread to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips for Success
Although this banana bread is easy to make, getting the right consistency with any baked good can be challenging. Here are a few of my tips for making the best homemade banana bread:
- Use extra ripe bananas: The riper the bananas are, the better flavor your bread will have. When it comes to banana bread, I like to use overripe bananas. I will often pop overripe bananas in the freezer so that I can make banana bread later (just make sure to thaw them before trying to mash them!)
- Be careful when mixing the batter: This is definitely not a recipe that you want to overmix the batter (doing so will result in a tough and chewy bread). When combining the wet and dry ingredients, try to stop once everything is just combined.
- Set the timer at 55 minutes: Baking time can vary based on a lot of factors, so make sure that you test your loaf after 55 minutes. The easiest way to do this is by inserting a toothpick into the center. Once it comes out clean (you may have to do this two to three times between the 55 and 65 minutes), take it out of the oven to cool.
Choose Your Own Mixins
One of the reasons I love this recipe is because it’s so simple, but also easily customizable. There are so many ingredients that add flavor and texture to this classic bread. Here are a few of my favorite ingredients to add:
- Chopped Nuts: I love the way crunchy nuts add texture to this otherwise soft bread.
- Chocolate Chips: Rich chocolate pairs great with the lightly sweet flavor of bananas.
- Dried fruit: Raisins and craisins are great for adding both texture and sweetness.
How to Store LEftovers
Banana Bread is a great make-ahead breakfast or snack because it’s so easy to store. Plus, this recipe will stay moist for days when stored properly.
To store, first allow the bread to cool completely. I recommend placing the bread in an airtight storage bag or container so that it stays as moist as possible. You can then either store it at room temperature for 3 days or in the fridge for 6 days.
Can I freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread! Whether you made it in advance or just couldn’t finish the loaf, this recipe will last for up to 2 months when frozen:
Just as described above, allow the bread to cool completely before storing. Wrap the cooled bread in one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of aluminum foil. When you’re ready to serve it, just remove it from the freezer and place it on the counter. It should take about 24 hours to come to room temperature this way, so make sure you plan when you want to take it out ahead of time.
More Easy Quick Bread Recipes
If you like this recipe, here are a few other easy bread recipes that I think you’d like:Print
Moist Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices
This classic Banana Bread is super moist, soft, and sweet. Tender and loaded with flavor, there’s a reason that it’s such a popular breakfast favorite!
- 1 ¼ cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F: Generously grease a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside. Line the pan with parchment paper if desired.
- Mash the bananas: peel and mash the bananas with a potato masher or fork.
- Combine the wet ingredients: Combine the bananas with the oil, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat all the ingredients together until well combined. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat just until it starts to combine. Stir the mixture with a spatula to finish incorporating the flour.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best banana bread, easy banana bread, quick bread recipe
Thanks for sharing your recipe! I made a few modifications (without the cinnamon but added dried blueberries in lieu of nuts and chocolate chips) as I couldn’t wait to complete my ingredients as specified here. We all loved it… with ice cream 🙂 Will try it again with cinnamon.
Love that! Thank you for sharind!
This banana bread receipe worked out perfectly 😊 Thank you for the receipe, I have tried many other receipes though did not work out and would always sink flat, never rise, and so delicious 😋
So happy to hear that!! Thank you Irene!
Loved it! Baked it for 60 minutes, with chocolate chips and pecans. And made a batch for cupcakes too (20-22 mins). LOVED IT!
Yeeees! Thank you Kymberli!
Just put it in the oven! I added walnuts, which we love…. Later…
Wonderful Patty! I love adding walnuts too but my husband doesn’t care for them. Sometimes I make a loaf for myself LOL
Forgot to mention that I also used my homemade vanilla extract❤️❤️
I put light brown sugar in the bottom of the pan, double the cinnamon and best of all I used a cup of my vanilla bean sugar.
Will make again❤️❤️
OMG that sounds amazing!!
Hi Donna, Would you mind sharing how you make vanilla bean sugar please? Would appreciate it! Julie L.
Made this today to use up 3 ripened bananas. I had all the ingredients in my pantry so I gave it a try. I believe it’s the best recipe I’ve tried, very moist, not crumbly. Definitely making it again. Thank you!
That’s wonderful Ronda, I am so happy to hear that!! Thank you!
Best banana bread ever! I doubled the cinnamon bc I love it! Thank you so much for sharing 🤍
That sounds like a great idea to me! Thank you so much for sharing!
I just made this today, wonderful recipe!! Easy, moist and delicious! I greased my loaf pan with butter put a layer of brown sugar on the bottom before adding the batter, nice yummy touch to the bottom. Thank you for this recipe!
Oooh I love that!! It must have amazing texture! Thank you for sharing!
Made this banana bread and it’s amazing! It’s so moist and tastes delicious will definitely be making this again!
Yes Liv! That’s awesome. Thank you so much!!
Made tonight with whole wheat flour and it turned out perfect and tasted great
Yes Mona! That’s amazing, thank you so much!
I’ve made this recipe at least 6 times already for both home and work. Each time I get, “I love this Banana Bread” or “Girl, you put your foot in that” or “When are you baking again?” It’s a great recipe. We make this all the time in The Bahamas.
That’s wonderful Rosenell, thank you so much for sharing!
Simple recipe and tasted beautiful!
I made it muffin style and it’s super moist, just perfect!
Thank you so much Esther!
I love ur recipies !!
Thank you so much!
Moist, ready in 55 mins, yum
Awesome! Thank you Anna!
Best banana bread recipe! I used gluten-free all purpose flour and sunflower oil instead of vegetable oil. Very moist and delicious.
Yeees Marilynn! So happy this worked with a gluten-free all-purpose flour!
Es una receta maravillosa…simplemente deliciosa.
Gracias por compartirla
Fantastic recipe and it is so easy to make.Thank you for sharing😃
That’s amazing Esther! Thank you so much for sharing!
This recipe was amazing – I didn’t change a thing, it was so moist and delicious. Perfect!!!!!
Wonderful Julie! Thank you so much!
Most delicious. I added walnuts. Will ONLY make this one from now on. Thank you 😉
That is the best comment I have read today! Thank you!
Thank you! Love the easy instructions! I added about a half a cup of buttermilk and about 1/2 cup of crushed pecans to mine and topped it with some white chocolate chips!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Smells incredible already. Thank you for your recipienthe proportions were perfect!
Amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing!
Family and I are obsessed with this banana bread, especially with choc chips added!
That’s so wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!!
It was delicious!!
Thank you Aide, I really appreciate the feedback!
Absolutely wonderful, thank you so much for this glorious recipe! I had to replace a few ingredients, but it still turned out moist and delicious!
I am wheat and lactose intolerant, so I used Spelt flour + oat milk. I also replaced the oil with greek (oat) yogurt and sugar with honey. Now I can also serve it to my picky toddler for dinner and not feel guilty ;))
Thank you for sharing your adjustents Rita! I am so glad you enjoyed it!
real moist, love it
So wonderful! Thank you so much for leaving a review!
The best! I used almond milk and whole wheat flour and still delicious!!
Wonderful!! Thank you so much Eri, and thanks for sharing your substitutions!
This recipe is the BOMB!!! Easy to do, turned out perfectly and tasted sooooo good!
Woohoo!! Thank you Amber!!
Thank you Rachel!
I used your recipe this morning and it was amazing! Tasted just like the banana bread at cafes and it was so easy to make. Thank you!
Yes!! That’s amazing Michelle, thank you so much!
I made this and it was the best banana bread i ve ever tried…my family loved it so much thank you for the recipe😊😊
Yes yes yes! Thank you so much Teckler!
Excellent Recipe! I make banana bread often and my Family agrees this recipe is so much better than the previous recipe I was using. Super Moist!
Amazing! Thank you so much Joyce!
I never leave comments, but I have tried many recipes over the past 35 years and this is my new favourite. My family loves it. I used the blog tip and went half white and half brown sugar. It was fantastic and very moist. I will definitely be making this again. It has gone in my family recipe book.
Thanks very much.
Wow wow wow! Thank you so much, this makes my day!