This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This easy pumpkin bread is moist, tender, and bursting with pumpkin flavor and warm fall spice. It’s the perfect treat to enjoy with a steaming mug of coffee or tea, made in one bowl in minutes!
If you love fall baking recipes like this pumpkin loaf, you’ll love my Cinnamon Sugar Quick Bread, too!
Quick and Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
I cannot WAIT for you to be as hooked on this cozy pumpkin bread as I am. This easy pumpkin bread recipe is soft and tender, and filled with delicious fall spices (and lots of pumpkin, of course). We devoured 3 whole loaves while recipe testing, it’s that irresistible.
If you love the pumpkin loaf from Starbucks, you’re going to love this recipe for pumpkin bread even more! It’s delicious with a cup of coffee, but you’ll find yourself sneaking slices all day long. For breakfast, for dessert, or as a snack… homemade pumpkin bread never lasts long around here.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Quick and easy. This pumpkin bread recipe is super quick to prepare. All it takes is one bowl and 15 minutes to have it ready for the oven.
- Cozy pumpkin flavor. Every bite is bursting with delicious sweet pumpkin and warming spices. Easy pumpkin bread is the perfect fall treat to cozy up with next to the fire this season.
- Soft and moist. This easy recipe is just the best. It produces the softest, fluffiest loaf that’s unbelievably tender and moist at the same time.
- Make-ahead friendly. Quick bread recipes are some of my favorite fall baking ideas. From apple bread to this fluffy pumpkin bread, they’re so easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze. A cozy loaf of sweet and spiced bread is also perfect for gifting once the holiday season comes around.
Pumpkin bread is crazy easy to make from scratch. I’ve included some helpful notes on the key ingredients you’ll need below. Don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card with the full amounts and instructions.
- Vegetable Oil and Melted Butter – We’re using mostly vegetable oil for a moist and tender crumb, plus a small amount of butter for richness.
- Egg and Milk – Egg for structure and milk for moisture. You can use any dairy or non-dairy milk in this recipe.
- Pumpkin Purée – Pumpkin isn’t just the star flavor here, it’s also a big source of this bread’s moisture and texture! Make sure to use 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. They are not the same and aren’t interchangeable in baking.
- Light Brown Sugar – This recipe uses all brown sugar, which helps to add moisture and also gives this bread a bit of caramelization.
- Spices – Pumpkin pie spice infuses this recipe with all sorts of delicious fall flavors. I prefer extra spice, so I include additional cinnamon and nutmeg on top of the pumpkin spice. That’s totally optional, though.
- Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
This easy pumpkin bread is ready in minutes in just 3 steps! Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the wet ingredients. Begin by beating together the oil, butter, egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Add the pumpkin purée and continue to mix until everything is well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients. Next, cream the brown sugar together with the wet ingredients. Follow this up with your spices, and finally, add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl. Beat just until the flour is incorporated, being careful to not overmix.
- Bake. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Bread
This recipe for pumpkin bread is practically foolproof, but you can keep these tips in mind for the best results every time:
- Avoid over-mixing. For light, fluffy bread, make sure to only beat the batter together until the ingredients are just combined. Overmixing the batter can lead to dense, tough quick bread.
- Use the right pumpkin. If a recipe calls for pumpkin, make sure you’re using 100% pure canned pumpkin purée. Canned pumpkin pie filling is sold in similar-sized cans and can be easy to mix up at the store. Pie filling contains extra ingredients and additives and does not work as a substitute for real pumpkin.
- No pumpkin spice? No problem. It’s easy to make your own variation of pumpkin spice from ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice, or a combination thereof.
- Check the bread for doneness. Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf, and if it comes out clean or with a few stray crumbs, your bread is done baking.
Easy Pumpkin Bread Variations
This simple yet mouthwatering bread recipe is delightful just as it is, but you can always jazz things up with your favorite add-ins or variations. Try these ideas:
- Add chocolate chips. Toss in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to make delicious pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
- Stir in chopped nuts. Stir in chopped toasted pecans or walnuts for extra crunch.
- Add cream cheese. Try pumpkin cream cheese bread for a fun and creamy variation made with swirls of sweet cream cheese.
- Top with glaze. For an extra layer of decadence, top this loaf with the maple brown butter glaze from my pumpkin bundt cake recipe.
- Make muffins instead. If you’d prefer to make this recipe as muffins, I recommend referring to my recipe for pumpkin muffins.
How to Store
- To Store: Keep stored in an airtight container in a cool and dry place. This loaf will stay moist for a few days, but it’s best when served within 3 days of preparation. I actually think it’s better on the second day when the flavors have had a chance to mingle.
- Freezer: To freeze this bread, cool the loaf completely and then double-wrap it in plastic wrap. Store your pumpkin bread frozen for up to 3 months, and defrost it at room temperature for serving.
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try
- Moist Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Healthier Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
This easy pumpkin bread recipe is moist, tender, and bursting with pumpkin flavor and warm fall spice. Made in one bowl in just 15 minutes!
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (29g) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons (7.5g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon (6.4g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan. Spray with cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Combine the oil, butter, egg, milk, and vanilla extract and beat together until well combined. Then add the pumpkin puree and continue mixing until well combined.
- First, add the brown sugar and continue beating until well combined. Then beat in the spices: cinnamon, pumpkin spice and nutmeg. Add the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat just until the flour is incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter, ensuring all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes on the middle rack of the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Add your favorite mix-ins. Chocolate chips or nuts would be a great addition!
- Make ahead and storage: Keep stored in an airtight container in a cool and dry place. This loaf will stay moist for a couple of days, but it’s best when served within 2 days of preparing. To freeze this bread, cool the loaf completely and then double-wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy pumpkin bread, pumpkin bread recipe, recipe for pumpkin bread