This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
These easy blueberry muffins come together in just 10 minutes. They’re moist, fluffy and loaded with blueberries. This is my go-to muffin recipe.
Easy Homemade Blueberry Muffins
Is there anything better on a Saturday morning besides fresh blueberry muffins? I mean pancakes would be acceptable too, but muffins are the best.
This is a simple, no-fuss recipe and only requires two bowls. Plus, it’s got the power ingredients: buttermilk and sour cream. Don’t worry, I offered substitutes for both.
You can make these blueberry muffins all year round with frozen blueberries, but if fresh is more your thing, you can certainly use those as well.
This recipe is also super versatile, so if blueberry isn’t your thing, change out the fruit, and add a little zest or extract to make it your own.
Muffin ingredients and substitutions
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vegetable oil – oil-based recipes make for a more tender crumb. Melted butter could be used instead, but oil will also help these muffins to stay nice and moist.
- Buttermilk – I love the tang that buttermilk adds to these muffins. If needed, you can either make a homemade buttermilk (see recipe notes) or use regular milk instead.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Sour cream– sour cream helps keep these muffins moist, I don’t recommend skipping it. You can substitute it with plain or Greek yogurt if needed.
- Frozen blueberries– Frozen blueberries are easiest, so you can enjoy muffins anytime. If using fresh, toss them in a couple tablespoons of flour. Also, wild blueberries tend to be smaller and work great if you prefer more berries in your muffins.
Flavor variations: you can change the flavor of these muffins by adding lemon zest or cinnamon.
How to make blueberry muffins in 10 minutes
- Combine the dry ingredients in mixing bowl and set aside
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy then add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and sour cream and beat until combined
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat just until the flour is incorporated
- Fold in the blueberries and mix the batter by hand
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill muffin liners ¾ full
- Bake & Cool
how to keep muffins fresh
These are best enjoyed within the first 2 days of preparing, but nothing beats a fresh warm muffin! Store these in an airtight container with room temperature.
how to freeze muffins
Fresh baked muffins can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Thaw to room temperature prior to eating. I recommend freezing them in a single layer for best results.
More breakfast recipes you’ll love
- Brown Butter Apple Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Quick Bread
- The best Pumpkin Muffins
- Banana Walnut Pancakes
- Cinnamon Pecan Waffles
These easy blueberry muffins coms together in just 10 minutes. They’re moist, fluffy and loaded with blueberries.
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (236ml) buttermilk (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (59ml) sour cream or yogurt (Greek preferred)
- 1 ¼ cups (233g) frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy then add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and sour cream and beat until well combine
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Fold in the blueberries in with a spatula and finishing mixing the batter by hand.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill muffin liners ¾ full.
- Bake at 375°F for 16-18 minutes. Test the muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffins. In the toothpick is clean, the muffins are done. Allow the muffins to cool prior to serving.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Blueberry Muffin, Easy breakfast recipe, muffin recipe