This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
Samoa Muddy Buddies transfers your favorite childhood snack into a crunchy, chocolate and caramel stuffed snack mix. The Chocolate Chex cereal is mixed with chocolate spread and caramel and it’s coated in coconut and powdered sugar, then sprinkled with Samoa Cookies.
You will seriously thank me for these Samoa Muddy Buddies. I swear chocolate, caramel and coconut are quite the amazing combination. I just can’t stop. Okay maybe I can, this is the last Girl Scout Cookie recipe that I am sharing for a little while.
Alight, you’ll are here for the muddy buddies right? This recipe mixes three different chocolates, two types of caramel and shredded coconut with Chex cereal, powdered sugar and chopped Samoa Cookies.
The end results is much pretty much indescribably addicting. Don’t blame me if you can’t stop after the first, second or third handful. For the filling, I combined chocolate chips with Hershey’s Chocolate Spread and Caramel sauce. Once that is melted, I poured it over Chocolate Chex Cereal and Shredded Coconut. Then I coated the cereal with powdered sugar.
To finish it off, I drizzled more caramel on top and added crushed Samoa cookies. Now really, that extra layer of caramel on the outside itsn’t completely necessary, but I love the look and color that it adds.
It’s important that you allow the caramel to cool until you are able to touch it. It will be EXTREMLY hot when it first comes off the stove. Mix it around with a spoon and then pull the caramel apart into smaller pieces. It will stay soft but it won’t stay melted.
You will want to break it up a little so that you don’t have large chunks of caramel the next day. This recipe makes a really large batch, perfect for serving a crowd. It fills an entire gallon sized Ziploc bag.Print
Samoa Muddy Buddies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 Cups
A chocolate and caramel stuffed Chex cereal coated in coconut and powdered sugar. Sprinkled with Samoa Cookies.
- 10 oz Chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 C Hersheys chocolate spread
- 1/4 C Caramel sauce
- 2 C Shredded coconut
- 7– 8 C Chocolate Chex
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- 25 Kraft caramels (optional)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 Box Samoa cookies
- Combine chocolate chips, butter and Hershey’s spread in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally to mix melted butter into chocolate chips.
- Once chocolate chips are completely melted, add caramel sauce and mix to combine with chocolate.
- In an XL mixing bowl, combine Chocolate Chex and coconut. Pour melted chocolate over cereal mix and toss with a spoon to completely coat the cereal.
- In a Ziploc bag, add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and half of the chocolate coated cereal. Seal the bag and shake vigorously to coat the cereal in powdered sugar. Pour out on a cookie sheet to cool. Repeat with the second half of the cereal and additional powdered sugar.
- This next step is optional. Unwrap 24 Kraft Caramels, combine and melt on the stovetop over medium-low heat. The caramel needs to be constantly stirred while melting so it doesn’t burn. The caramel will be extremely hot, use caution when handling. Once melted, slowly drizzle caramel over the muddy buddies.
- Once caramel has cooled slightly, gently stir to spread the caramel, evenly breaking apart some larger pieces with your fingers. Some of it will stick to the cereal and some will not. I cut up the extra pieces of caramel and left them in the muddy buddies.
- Cut Samoa cookies into tiny pieces and sprinkle into muddy buddies.
- Keep stored in an air tight container for up too three days.
Use extreme caution when handling Caramel. It will be very hot! Once caramel has cooled slightly, break apart some larger pieces with your fingers. Some of it will stick to the cereal and some will not. I cut up the extra pieces of caramel and left them in the muddy buddies.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chex Mix, Puppy Chow, Muddy Buddies