This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This perfect Chocolate Whipped Cream is only 4 ingredients and takes 10 minutes to prepare. It’s the perfect for everything from hot cocoa to pancakes, pie, cupcakes and cake.
Wondering how to make a classic whipped cream? Try my easy homemade whipped cream recipe.
Easy Chocolate Whipped Cream
Whipped cream is seriously the best topping, and I am known to dive right in with my spoon. I have several variations of my favorite whipped cream including this chocolate version.
Why make homemade whipped cream instead of buying Cool Whip? It’s tastes SO much better, and it’s really quite simple to make. There’re a few tricks I’ve picked up along the way, but mostly it’s about beating the heavy cream until it reaches the right consistency, which I call stiff peaks. This is when the whipped cream is thickened and will hold it’s shape if you run a spoon through it.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
I like to use a combination of powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Cocoa powder can leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth, so the powdered sugar adds a little bit of sweetness and also stability. I also add a touch of vanilla extract for flavor. You can use any type of cocoa powder you’d like.
3 tips for perfect whipped cream
- Cold utensils: Start with super cold ingredients and utensils. Place the bowl and whisk in the freezer or refrigerator for 5-10 minutes prior to starting.
- Use high speed: Whipping the heavy cream at a high speed will help to achieve stiff peaks quicker, and prevent you from over beating the cream.
- When to add the dry ingredients: Wait until your cream reaches soft peaks prior to adding any other ingredients like extracts and powdered sugar. Otherwise I don’t think the whipped cream gets quite as thick. Soft peaks is when the cream has thickened and you can run a spoon through it, but the peaks of the whipped cream still collapse.
HOW TO USE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
Now that you’ve made this perfect bowl of whipped cream, what do you do with it? Here are a few of my favorite recipes to use it with.
- Chocolate mousse cake
- Chocolate poke cake
- Nutella cheesecake
- German Chocolate Pie
- Pies and Crisps – Serve it as a topping for pies and crisps
- Frosting– This is the perfect consistency for piping. Use it as a frosting for cakes or cupcakes or cheesecakes.
- Coffee & Hot Chocolate – Add a dollop to your cup of coffee or hot chocolate
- Pancakes, French Toast & Waffles – Use it as a breakfast topping!
- Dip and Trifles – Whipped cream and fresh fruit is a classic combo, but the chocolate makes it even better. Dip fresh strawberries into the whipped cream or use it in place of whipped cream for a trifle.
CAN I MAKE WHIPPED CREAM AHEAD OF TIME?
I do not recommend leaving the prepared whipped cream in a bowl for an extended period of time (any longer than 30 minutes). It also must stay cold, so do not leave it out on the counter.
For the very best results, make the whipped cream prior to serving and immediately add it to your dessert. Once it’s been piped, it’s much more stable than just sitting in the bowl. So, you can store your desserts after you’ve frosted them. It also freezes well once it’s been piped, so you can add this to your frozen desserts.
More whipped cream recipes you’ll love
- Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon Maple Whipped Cream
- Cake Batter Whipped Cream
Follow Beyond Frosting
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | InstagramPrint
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups
This perfect Chocolate whipped cream is only 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare. It’s the perfect for everything from hot cocoa to pancakes, pie, cupcakes and cake.
- 1 cup (236ml) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (14g) cocoa powder (any type)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the heavy cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric or stand mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until it’s mostly incorporated then continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately.
- How to store this frosting: Whipped cream must stay refrigerate. I do not recommend leaving the prepared whipped cream in a bowl for an extended period of time (any longer than 30 minutes). For the best results, make the whipped cream prior to serving and immediately add it to your dessert. Once it’s been piped, it’s must more stable then just sitting in the bowl.
- Do not use in a hot or humid climates, as it will not withstand the heat.
- If you prefer a less sweet whipped cream, you can reduce the powdered sugar to 1/4 cup.
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Whipped Cream, Whipped Cream Recipe, How to Make Whipped Cream, Whipped Cream Frosting, Chocolate whipped cream,