This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This crave-worthy pumpkin cream cheese bread is layered with a simple cream cheese swirl. This quick bread is incredibly moist, and it’s loaded with fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. This is one of the best fall treats!
Easy Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
Just when I thought my favorite easy pumpkin bread couldn’t get any better, I had to go throw in some layers of cream cheese. And OH MY GOSH, this stuff is good. This pumpkin cream cheese bread is incredibly moist without being soggy, which can be difficult to achieve with pumpkin recipes. The crumb is tight and fluffy, and it’s got all the key players when it comes to flavors: warm spices, rich pumpkin, tangy cream cheese. The cream cheese filling is a simple addition that takes this bread to the next level.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- Easy to make. Aren’t quick breads just wonderful? This recipe only needs a few basic ingredients, some spices, and about 30 minutes of your time before the oven takes over.
- Cozy flavors. You’ll definitely want to cozy up on the couch with a blanket, a cup of coffee, and a slice of cream cheese pumpkin bread (or three).
- Perfect for all occasions. Pumpkin cream cheese bread is great for breakfast, a midday snack, or even as a gift for a neighbor or friend.
Below are some notes on the key ingredients you’ll need to make this pumpkin bread with cream cheese. I’ve made some minor tweaks to my original recipe to accommodate the extra filling. Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for the full recipe amounts and details.
- Oil and Butter – For an ultra-moist, soft, and tender crumb, vegetable oil is the way to go. I also include a couple of tablespoons of melted butter for richness.
- Egg – You’ll need one egg for the bread batter and another to add structure to the cream cheese filling.
- Pumpkin – Make sure that you’re using real pumpkin puree, and NOT pumpkin pie filling. They aren’t the same thing!
- Sugar – I use a combination of white and brown sugar for extra moisture.
- Spices – This cozy pumpkin bread gets its fall flavor from a blend of ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg.
- Baking Soda and Salt
- Cream Cheese – I recommend using the full-fat cream cheese that comes in blocks and not the tub kind. Take your cream cheese out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes ahead of time, to let it come to room temperature.
How To Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
This easy pumpkin cream cheese bread comes together in a snap. Here’s how to make it:
- Beat the wet ingredients. First, beat together the oil, butter, egg, and vanilla extract, then add the pumpkin puree. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients. Next, add the brown sugar, followed by the spices and the remaining dry ingredients. Beat until the flour is just combined, then set the batter aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. Whip the softened cream cheese together with sugar and vanilla until smooth and fluffy, then mix in an egg.
- Layer the batter. Begin by adding one cup of the pumpkin batter to the pan. Top this with half of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat two more times, and you should have just enough cream cheese left to swirl into the top layer.
- Bake: Bake your bread at 350°F for 60-70 minutes. You may need to tent the pan with aluminum foil if you notice that the top is browning too quickly. Usually, I cover it after 45 minutes of baking. Allow the pumpkin cream cheese bread to cool completely before slicing.
Tips for Success
I have no doubt that your decadent pumpkin cream cheese bread is going to come out incredible. Here are some final tips for the best results:
- Make sure the batter is well mixed. A batter that is undermixed can lead to uneven baking. That being said, be careful that you don’t overmix, either. Use a spatula to mix the ingredients until the flour is just combined. Overmixing can yield tough, dense bread.
- Add most of the cream cheese to the center, not the top. You just need a couple of spoonfuls for the top of the bread. Too much cream cheese on top can overbake, resulting in a weird texture.
- Bake all the way through. This is a big loaf of bread, so ensuring it’s baked through in the center will prevent the top from sinking. I recommend checking the bread for doneness at the 1-hour mark. If it’s not ready, check again after 5 minutes, and repeat until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Variation and Topping Ideas
This recipe is pretty decadent as it is. But don’t let that stop you from letting your creativity shine through! Looking for inspiration? Here are some easy ways to make this cream cheese pumpkin bread your own:
- Add chocolate chips. For some extra indulgence, throw in a handful of white chocolate chips.
- Add nuts. Craving some crunch? Mix in chopped toasted pecans or walnuts.
- Add a glaze. Drizzle the top of your bread with a simple vanilla glaze, or borrow the brown butter maple glaze from my pumpkin bundt cake.
- Top slices with a scoop of ice cream. Right before serving, top your quick bread slices with a scoop of homemade pumpkin ice cream.
How To Store
- To Store: Store this bread in an airtight container for up to 3 days (if it even lasts that long!). You can store it at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: You can also freeze your baked pumpkin cream cheese bread. Cool completely and then wrap the loaf tightly with plastic wrap, twice. After, wrap it again with aluminum foil or place it in a Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months, and thaw to room temperature prior to serving.
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try
- Pumpkin Cake with Mascarpone Frosting
- Easy Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
This drool-worthy pumpkin cream cheese bread is layered with a simple cream cheese swirl. It’s incredibly moist and loaded with fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
For the bread
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (29g) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons (7.5g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon (8.5g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces (226g) full-fat cream cheese- at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (63g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5gml) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan. Spray with cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Combine the oil, butter, egg, and vanilla extract and beat together until well combined. Then add the pumpkin puree and continue mixing until well combined.
- Beat in the dry ingredients. First, add the brown sugar and continue beating until well combined. Then beat in the spices: cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and nutmeg. Add the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt, and beat just until the flour is incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter, ensuring all ingredients are well combined.
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat the softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together until fluffy and free of lumps. Then add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Build the layers: Add 1 cup of the pumpkin batter to the bottom of the pan, then add about half of the cream cheese batter and spread evenly. Repeat this two more times, you’ll have just a couple spoonfuls of cream cheese for the top. Swirl the top layer with a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes on the middle rack of the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the last 15-20 minutes or so of baking. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin cream cheese bread, pumpkin bread with cream cheese, cream cheese pumpkin bread