This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This crave-worthy pumpkin bread is layered with a simple cream cheese swirl. This quick bread is incredibly moist, and it’s loaded with fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. This is one of the best fall treats!
Easy Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
I didn’t think I could not love pumpkin bread any more than I already do. But low and behold, I had to go and throw in some layers of cream cheese. OH MY GOSH this stuff is good.
My pumpkin bread is incredibly moist without being soggy, which can be difficult to achieve with pumpkin bread. The crumb is tight and it’s got all the key players when it comes to flavors. The cream cheese filling is a simple addition that takes this bread to the next level. For this version, I’ve made some minor tweaks to accommodate the extra filling.
You’ll want to cozy up on the couch with a blanket, a cup of coffee and a slice of pumpkin bread (or three). This is great for breakfast, a midday snack or even as a gift for a neighbor or friend.
- Vegetable oil
- Unsalted butter- melted
- Egg- one for the bread and one for the cream cheese filling
- Pure vanilla extract
- Pumpkin puree
- Light brown sugar & granulated sugar – for the bread and filling
- Spices: ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda & Salt
- Full-fat cream cheese- at room temperature
How To Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
This recipe comes together in a snap.
Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
Beat the wet ingredients: Combine the oil, butter, egg, and vanilla extract and beat together until well combined, then add the pumpkin puree. Beat until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Add the dry ingredients: First, add the brown sugar and continue beating until well combined. Then beat in the spices following by the remaining dry ingredients and beat just until the flour is incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter, ensuring all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the cream cheese filling: Beat the softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract together until fluffy and free of lumps. Then add the egg and beat until well combined.
Layer the batter: Add 1 cup of the pumpkin batter to the bottom of the pan, then add about half of the cream cheese batter and spread evenly. Repeat this two more times, you’ll have just a couple of scoops of cream cheese for the top layer. The top layer you can swirl with a knife.
Bake: Bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes. You may need to tent the pan with aluminum foil if you noticed that the top is browning. Usually, I cover it after 45 minutes of baking. Cool completely before cutting.
Avoid These Mistakes
- Make sure the batter is well mixed. A batter that is undermixed could result in uneven baking
- Add most of the cream cheese to the center, not the top. You just need a couple spoonfulls left for the top of the bread. Too much cream cheese on top can overbake and result in a weird texture on top.
- Bake all the way through. This is a big bread, but ensuring it’s baked through in the center will prevent the bread from sinking. The first time I check it is at 60 minutes. Then I add 5 minutes of baking time, check again and repeat until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How To Store Pumpkin Bread
This is best when it’s kept in an airtight container for 3 days (but it won’t even last that long). This can be kept at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes. The baked bread can be frozen. Cool completely and then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, twice. Then wrap again with aluminum foil or place in a Ziploc bag. Thaw to room temperature prior to serving.
This drool-worthy pumpkin bread is layered with a simple cream cheese swirl. It’s incredibly moist, and it’s loaded with fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
For the bread
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (29g) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons (7.5g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon (8.5g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces (226g) full-fat cream cheese- at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (63g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5gml) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan. Spray with cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Combine the oil, butter, egg, and vanilla extract and beat together until well combined. Then add the pumpkin puree and continue mixing until well combined.
- Beat in the dry ingredients. First, add the brown sugar and continue beating until well combined. Then beat in the spices: cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and nutmeg. Add the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt, and beat just until the flour is incorporated. Use a spatula to mix the batter, ensuring all ingredients are well combined.
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat the softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together until fluffy and free of lumps. Then add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Build the layers: Add 1 cup of the pumpkin batter to the bottom of the pan, then add about half of the cream cheese batter and spread evenly. Repeat this two more times, you’ll have just a couple spoonfuls of cream cheese for the top. Swirl the top layer with a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes on the middle rack of the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the last 15-20 minutes or so of baking. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin bread, quick bread recipe, pumpkin recipe