Hey September, you are off to a hot start, very hot; I am practically melting. Ironically, September is one of the nicest, warmest months of the summer here in California. This makes it quit difficult for me to transition to fall, which is my favorite time of year back in Vermont. Last year, I was home over Labor day weekend, frolicking in the apple tree fields and eating cider donuts. So this week, I am saying goodbye to summer and transitioning to fall, despite what the weather might be telling me.
Last weekend, I did a whole lot of deep frying. I started with some Deep Fried Apple Pie Bites, then tried my hand at fried donuts and finished with this Deep Fried Cake Batter Cookie Dough. You see, my Deep Fried Cookie Dough recipe was so well received, that I knew I needed to make a cake batter version. Trust me, these are worth every calorie. It’s crazy how much I love cookie dough, but when you add some cake mix and sprinkles, it takes it up to a whole other level. I chose to keep the mini chocolate chips in this recipe, because I am firm believer that you never go wrong with chocolate.
For the Cookie Dough
- 1 C Unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 3/4 C Light brown sugar
- 1 C Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 C All-purpose flour
- 1 C Yellow cake mix (dry)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 C Mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 C Sprinkles
For the batter
- Recipe adapted from Taylor Takes A Taste
- 3–4 C Vegetable oil for frying
- 3 C crushed Corn Flakes
- 1 Large egg
- 1 C Water
- 2 C Dry pancake mix
- 2–3 tbsp Powered sugar
- Additional powdered sugar for dusting
For the cookie dough:
- Allow butter to come to room temperature.
- Combine butter and both sugars in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with a handheld mixer until smooth. All chunks of sugar and butter should be broken up.
- Add flour, dry cake mix and salt. Mix just until combined. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add vanilla extract and milk. Mix until dough is soft. Add chocolate chips and sprinkles last.
- Roll dough into balls, about 1 1/2 tablespoons for each. Set aside.
To assemble and fry
- Preheat oil to 365°. Use caution when deep-frying. Oil is extremely hot.
- Use a food processor to crush Corn Flakes into small pieces. Set aside in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, beat egg with a fork. Add water.
- Add 1 cup of dry pancake mix and powdered sugar and whisk together until smooth.
- In a third bowl, place the remaining dry pancake mix.
- To assembly the deep-fried cookie dough bites, first roll dough in dry pancake mix, then dip into wet batter and lastly, roll in Corn Flake crumbs.
- Place dough ball in oil and fry for one minute and 30 seconds.
- Remove from deep fryer and tap off excess oil and place on a paper towel to dry the dough ball and absorb remaining oil. Allow to cool for several minutes before eating.
- Sprinkle with powered sugar or drizzle with chocolate syrup.