This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is the perfect snack when you are craving cookies but don’t want to turn on the oven. It’s egg-free and made with heat-treated flour, so it’s safe to eat! Plus you’ll only need 6 ingredients.
It’s no secret, I am obsessed with cookie dough. In ice cream, in a cheesecake, or even in my cupcakes. I know I am not the only one who digs through a pint of ice cream looking just for the cookie dough pieces.
When I made my own edible cookie dough, I knew I was in trouble! I kept sneaking bites from the freezer throughout the day. I love that recipe, and it has 4 different variations including funfetti, peanut butter, and chocolate cookie dough.
This time I wanted something different, a classic sugar cookie dough. The difference between these two recipes is that the sugar cookie dough doesn’t contain any brown sugar. I also found just the right balance of sugar so that it’s not overly sweet.
This makes a perfect anytime snack, but if you need some ways to use it up, you can try coating it with chocolate or making some ice cream.
Gather the Ingredients
Only 6 simple ingredients plus your mix-ins are all you need for this quick and easy recipe.
- All-purpose flour– heat treat the flour to eliminate bacteria
- Unsalted butter– softened butter works best
- Granulated sugar- All granulated sugar in this recipe creates the classic sugar cookie flavor
- Pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkles or other mix-ins
Prepare the flour: Heating the flour in the oven will eliminate any bacteria. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the flour on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for approximately 10 minutes, or until the temperature of the flour reaches 160°F. You’ll notice the flour gets a little clumpy when it’s baked, so sift it through a fine mesh sieve prior to mixing it into the dough.
Mix the butter and sugar: I quickly soften my butter in the microwave for 10 seconds, rotate it and then another 5-10 seconds. It should be soft but not melted. If it melts a little bit, that’s okay. Combine the butter and sugar and mix until well combined.
Add the remaining ingredients: Next add the flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Start mixing and slowly add the milk as needed until the dough comes together. Then add sprinkles or any mix-ins you might want.
My favorite Mix-Ins
You can add just about anything into the cookie dough to make it unique.
- Candies: M&Ms, candy bars, malt balls or seasonal candy like peppermint chocolate for a holiday twist
- Cookies: Oreos (would be great with golden Oreos!), Circus Animal Cookies or Biscoff cookies for a holiday spin
- Crackers: Nilla Wafers or Graham crackers with a little marshmallow and chocolate chips for a fun S’more edition
You can serve it immediately or store it in the Refridgerator or freezer. Specific instructions for storing cookie dough are listed below. You can either roll it into bite-sized balls, about the size of a nickel or use a cookie scoop. Of course, you can always just dive right in with a spoon.
How to Store It
If you plan to eat within a couple of days, then I recommend storing it in the refrigerator. Otherwise, throw it in the freezer to enjoy it at a later date.
In the Fridge: To store edible cookie dough in the fridge, keep it in an airtight container and enjoy it within 1 week.
In the Freezer: To freeze your cookie dough, keep it in a freezer-safe container and enjoy it within 2 months. Frozen cookie dough should be thawed overnight in the fridge before it’s eaten.
- No-Bake Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Cookie Dough Stuffed Easter Eggs
- Circus Animal Cookie Dough Truffle Bars
- Cookie Dough S’mores Dip
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8
This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is the perfect snack when you are craving cookies but don’t want to turn on the oven. It’s egg-free and made with heat-treated flour, so it’s safe to eat!
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour, heat treated
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (143g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the flour on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for approximately 10 minutes, or until the temperature of the flour reaches 160°F. Stir the flour halfway through and allow it to cool completely. Sift the flour through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Soften the butter in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, and sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add the heat-treated flour, salt, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of milk. Beat together until the dough starts to form. Add additional milk as needed until the dough reaches your desired consistency. Mix in the sprinkles.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: edible cookie dough, egg-less cookie dough