This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
You’ll love a big slice of Healthy Zucchini Bread made with whole wheat flour, unsweetened apple sauce, and half the sugar. It’s quick and easy to prepare and makes for the perfect healthy snack or breakfast.
Healthy Zucchini Bread with Apple Sauce
I have a weakness for quick breads and muffins. I just can’t help myself slicing off a piece here and there throughout the day and before you know it, half the loaf is gone.
While I love my original Zucchini Bread, I also wanted a healthier option to have on hand for myself and my toddler. He loves this bread and I often throw a slice in his snack when we go out for adventures.
You won’t even miss the fat and calories from my original recipe because this one is also flavorful and moist with the perfect crumb.
Why is This Zucchini Bread Healthier?
Just a few simple swaps can cut calories, fat and sugar to make a healthy but tasty treat.
Healthier Fats. I ditched the vegetable oil for unsweetened apple sauce and a touch of olive oil.
Less sugar. I also reduced the sugar by half and added some maple sugar as a natural sweetener.
Whole Wheat Flour. I swapped out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour, but you could use either one.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s a brief list, but scroll down to the bottom for the full recipe and instructions.
- Fresh zucchini– you’ll need 1 ¼ cups grated which is usually two small or one medium.
- Large eggs
- Unsweetened apple sauce– replaces the oil in a traditional recipe for a healthy option
- Olive Oil- just a touch for flavor and texture. Olive oil is a healthy alternative to vegetable oil
- Maple syrup– for sweetness since this has much less sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- Whole wheat flour– you can also use all-purpose
- Ground cinnamon, Baking powder, Baking Soda, Salt
How to Make Zucchini Bread
- Prepare the pan. I recommend quickly greasing the pan and then lining with parchment paper so you can easily remove the loaf and slice it.
- Prepare the Zucchini. Grate the zucchini (with the skin on) using a cheese grater. Be sure to remove all the excess moisture using paper towels to squeeze the zucchini until there’s no more water dripping out.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, beat all the ingredients together until well combined then add the sugar and beating until it’s mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients. First, combine the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl then add to the wet ingredients and beat just until it starts to combine.
- Fold in the zucchini. I do this by hand using a spatula until it’s well mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake. Baking time will vary but check for doneness using the toothpick test.
The Best Way to Prepare the Zucchini
No one likes gummy or soggy bread. One key to making the best zucchini bread is to always squeeze out the extra water. I found the best way to do this is using a few paper towels. Once the towels are wet with water, shake it out and grab a couple more until there’s no more water to ring out.
Storing & Freezing
This can be stored either at room temperature or in the fridge in an airtight container. I prefer to leave it at room temperature.
I freeze this all the time, it makes a great snack to toss in a lunchbox or for a mid morning snack. Wrap slices individually in plastic and then place in a Ziploc bag or freezer-safe container.
More Bread Recipes
- Easy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- My favorite Pumpkin Bread
- Lemon Quick Bread
- Cinnamon Apple Bread
You’ll love a big slice of Healthy Zucchini Bread made with whole wheat flour, unsweetened apple sauce, and half the sugar.
- 1 ¼ cups grated zucchini (2 small or 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (4oz) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups (180g) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (3.75g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside. Line the pan with parchment paper if desired.
- Prepare the zucchini using a large cheese grater. Grate the zucchini with the skin on. Use a paper towel to squeeze out extra water in the zucchini and fluff with a fork.
- Combine the wet ingredients: eggs, apple sauce, oil, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat all the ingredients together until well combined. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat just until it starts to combine.
- Fold in the zucchini using a spatula and finish mixing the batter by hand. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Add 3/4 cups chocolate chips or 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Baking times will vary depending on the type of pan and true oven temperature. Mine is ready at exactly 60 minutes, but I suggest 55-65 minutes as a range.
- To turn this into muffins, bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini bread with applesauce, whole wheat zucchini bread