This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This Oreo Frosting is incredibly silky, light and fluffy and tastes just like the filling of an Oreo cookie! It’s perfect recipe for frosting cakes and cupcakes and only requires 5 simple ingredients. Pair this with chocolate or vanilla cupcakes.
I realize you might be asking yourself why you need an actual recipe for Oreo frosting. You might think that all you need to do is add some crushed cookies to your vanilla frosting.
Sure, that’s the general idea, BUT with a little finesse, your frosting will actually taste like the filling of an Oreo. Sounds good, right?
Oreo Frosting is a favorite in our household. We even chose this frosting for our wedding cake. And by we, I mean me, because I totally surprised my husband with it.
How do you make Oreo Buttercream Frosting:
For the Oreo Frosting, we’re starting with the basic concepts I’ve taught you for my Vanilla Frosting. This means we’re starting with cold butter and taking some extra time to whip the butter until it’s light and fluffy.
If you aren’t comfortable making frosting, don’t worry! I have lot of tips for how to make buttercream frosting.
- Start by cutting your cold butter into 1 tablespoon size pieces, it’s easier for your mixer to break it apart. Start beating on a medium speed until your butter starts to breakdown into a smoother consistency.
- Scrape down the bowl and increase the mixing speed to high and beat for a few minutes until the butter turns whiter in color, and grows in volume.
- Next, add the powdered sugar. Be sure to turn down your mixer speed or you’ll have quite the mess on your hands!
- Add the Oreo crumbs last together with the heavy whipping cream and beat until incorporated. If you don’t have heavy whipping cream, you can use milk.
If you aren’t actually interested in piping or spreading this frosting, then you don’t need to worry about grinding your Oreos into a fine crumb. In this case, I’d recommend using a large cookie scoop to place the frosting onto of your cupcakes.
Otherwise, make sure you use a food processor to grind the Oreos into a fine crumb- the filling and all goes into the food processor.
As long as you’ve grinded your Oreos into fine crumbs, you should be able to pipe or spread this frosting without any trouble, although I tend to use a frosting tip that is a little more open, JUST in case you have any chunks of cookies that got stuck in there.
If you’re looking for the recipe for these cupcakes, it’s a bit simpler. Just make my Moist Chocolate Cupcakes and top it with this frosting. It’s like my husband’s dream cupcake.
This Oreo Frosting is incredibly silk, light and fluffy and tastes just like the filling of an Oreo cookie! It’s perfect recipe for frosting for cakes and cupcakes. Pair this with chocolate or vanilla cupcakes too!
- 3 sticks (1 ½ cups) unsalted butter, cold
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 12 Oreos, crushed
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut the cold butter into pieces, about 1 tablespoon in size. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter at medium high speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat the butter until it looks lighter in color.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, 2 cups at a time, adding the heavy whipping cream intermittently, mixing on low speed until it’s incorporated into the butter. Then increase the speed to high and beat for 30-60 seconds. Repeat until all your powdered sugar has been added.
- In a food processor, grind the Oreos into a fine crumb. Add the crushed Oreos to the frosting along with the vanilla extract. Slowly beat the crumbs into the frosting then beat at a high speed for 60 seconds.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and place an Oreo in the side. Store in an air tight container.
- This recipe will frost 24 cupcakes
- If you don’t have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute milk
- If you would like to frost a 9×13-inch cake, you can half this recipe
- If you’d like to frost an 8-inch 3 layer cake, add an additional stick of butter, 1-2 more cups of powdered sugar and 6 more Oreos. Add additional heavy cream as needed
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Oreo Frosting, Cupcake icing recipe, cupcake frosting, frosting recipe, Icing recipe, Oreo buttercream frosting, Oreo icing