This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
These easy Sugar Cookie Bars are soft, chewy and topped with a perfect whipped vanilla frosting. They’re buttery, dense cookie bars that are perfect when you don’t feel like going through all the hassle to make cut out sugar cookies.
I Love Making Sugar Cookie Bars For A Quick Dessert
Sugar cookies are a staple in every baker’s household. Some of my fondest memories as a child was frosting sugar cookies. The only thing that has changed is that they’re a little prettier now than they used to be!
However, I don’t love spending hours decorating and cleaning up all the time. This my friend is where these Sugar Cookie Bars come in handy.
How Are Cookie Bars Different Than Regular Sugar Cookies?
They’re two distinct differences between my Best Sugar Cookie recipe and these sugar cookie bars.
My cutout sugar cookie recipe is different. It’s airier and lighter, not overly sweet and best for rolling and cutting out shapes.
These sugar cookie bars are a different recipe, they’re thicker and denser but still soft and chewy in the middle. The recipe originally started as Snickerdoodles, we just eliminated the cinnamon and sugar and added the vanilla frosting.
The cookie recipe has been used for countless variations on my website, I call it my Master Soft and Chewy Cookie recipe.
I did test my original cutout sugar cookie recipe as bar, and I did not like the results. They were drier, and too airy for what I wanted in a sugar cookie bar.
One thing to note, once baked, these bars will sink in the middle since you pull them out of the oven when they’re slightly under baked. The edges bake much faster than the middle, but that’s okay because I cut away the edges of the bars when I slice them anyway.
How To Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- First cream together the butter and sugar. I’ll admit I am lazy and don’t soften my butter. I throw in the microwave for 10 seconds then slice it up and then spend a little more time creaming the butter and sugar together.
- Then add the eggs and vanilla, give your bowl a good scrape down and beat them until they’re incorporated.
- Finally, add the dry ingredients. There is a lot of flour in this recipe, so I suggest adding slowly and then beating until the dough starts to form in the mixing bowl.
- Press the dough into a 9×13 inch pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Use a spatula to press the dough evenly across the top
- Bake and cool complexly before adding the frosting.
- If you don’t know how to make buttercream, I am here to help! Click on that link, it’s PACKED with information. Homemade buttercream is worth it.
Can I Add Other Flavors To These Cookie Bars?
The best part about these bars is that they can be adapted into so many flavors. I original made them as Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars, but almond, orange, peppermint are all good options.
What Type Of Sprinkles Are Best For Sugar Cookie Bars?
These bars are topped with Sweetapolita Sprinkle and you can get 15% off with the code BEYONDFROSTING15. There’s so many mixes to choose from, I spend hours deciding what to get!
Follow Beyond Frosting:
If you love no-bake recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, No-Bake Treats!Print
These easy Sugar Cookie Bars are soft and chewy and topped with a perfect whipped vanilla frosting. They’re buttery, dense and so delicious!
For the cookie bars:
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting:
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups (455g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons (15ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (15ml) vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add it into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Press the cookie dough into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375°F 18-20 minutes. Allow the cookie bars to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Next Add the heavy whipping cream and mix to combine.
- Finally add the remaining powdered sugar, and vanilla bean paste and whip it on high for at least 2 minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cookie bars, slice and enjoy.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sugar cookie bars, recipe for sugar cookie bars, sugar cookie bars recipe, cookie bars recipe, recipe for cookie bars, easy cookie bars, sugar cookie recipe, sugar cookies with frosting
More Sugar Cookie Recipes You Might Like: