This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
I’m sharing my Must-Have Frosting Recipes that every home baker and cake lover needs in their kitchen! From classic vanilla frosting to Oreo, cream cheese, and more, these are the best frosting recipes for all your most-loved cakes and desserts.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- A Collection of My Most-Loved Frosting Recipes
- What Makes These Recipes the Best?
- Common Questions
- Helpful Frosting Tutorials
- Frosting Recipes You’ve Got to Try
- Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Rice Krispie Treat Frosting
- Oreo Frosting
- Oatmeal Cream Pie Frosting
- Circus Animal Cookie Frosting
- Cereal Milk Whipped Cream
- Rainbow Buttercream
A Collection of My Most-Loved Frosting Recipes
The day I realized how easy it is to make my own frosting, I went through a frosting awakening. Goodbye, overly sweet commercial frosting (no hate, it just wasn’t my thing for the longest time). And hello, fresh homemade frosting, I’ll keep you forever!
Discovering that I could make just about any frosting, just the way I like it, with a few simple ingredients was a game changer.
My blog has become a treasure trove of frosting ideas, from classic American buttercream recipes to fun flavor creations! I figured it’s high time that I share some of the easy frosting recipes that I can’t live without.
What Makes These Recipes the Best?
So, what makes these frosting recipes the best of all time? Let’s discuss…
- Easy. I love delicious frosting without the fuss. These recipes come together super quick and with just a few ingredients.
- Something for everyone. Whether you’re decorating cakes, cupcakes, or making sugar cookie frosting, there’s a frosting recipe for every dessert and taste.
- Cold butter. Many frosting recipes call for room-temperature butter – not mine. The secret to most of these frosting recipes is cold butter. Chilling the butter allows for better control over the consistency of the frosting when decorating!
The 7 general kinds of frosting are buttercream, meringue, whipped cream frosting, royal icing, cooked icing, ganache, and glaze.
Frosting is usually a little thicker and fluffier than icing, and spreadable. This is why cakes are often frosted all over, then drizzled or piped with icing.
Buttercream is by far the most popular frosting! Simple to whip up with butter and sugar, and endlessly versatile.
It’s always important that a cake is 100% cool before you frost it. After the cake is frosted, chilling the cake is not always required. It’s best to check the individual recipe.
Helpful Frosting Tutorials
Maybe you are new to making homemade buttercream or maybe you’re looking to brush up on your skills. Here’s a few helpful tutorials to take your frosting to the next level.
Frosting Recipes You’ve Got to Try
These are the best frosting recipes that everyone needs in their collection! From the must-have basic buttercreams to some fun and easy flavors, these versatile frosting ideas are perfect for loads of desserts.