I actually spent a whole Saturday at home without baking. I am actually amazed at myself! For someone who relies on the weekend to do all my baking and photographing, giving up a day is hard to do. I enjoyed just hanging out, sleeping in and making dinner.
I was tempted to make another batch of these Bourbon Salted Caramel Oatmeal Cookies. I made them last weekend and shipped them off to a friend. I have a hard time resisting cookies, especially these ones. Even my boyfriend liked these cookies, and he usually sticks to the basics. So it’s better if I get them out of the house as fast as possible instead of eating them all myself. With father’s day coming up perhaps your dad would like them too!
Three reasons I am obsessed with these cookies. Bourbon gives these cookies just a little kick and I love alcohol infused desserts. I think it adds a little extra richness to these cookies. The melted caramel is swirled throughout the cookies. With caramel, usually it hardens once the cookies are cooled. So I was pleased to see the caramel stay soft. Every so often, you get a bite of sea salt too! Everyone loves a little sweet and salty mix right? Lastly, everything is better with chocolate, so I added chocolate chips to these cookies as well!
I prefer giant cookies, so I used a large cookie scoop for these, 3 tablespoons to be exact. If you like smaller cookies, try using a 2 tablespoon or medium cookie scoop. The smaller scoop will produce at least 3 dozen cookies. I also always use a Silpat when I bake cookies. In this case, it makes it easier to get the cookies off the non-stick sheet, since the caramel can be sticky. It helps to prevent the cookies from burning on the bottom. This recipe is adapted from my favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from Picky Palate.
Follow Beyond Frosting:
If you love no-bake recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, No-Bake Treats!Print
A bourbon infused oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with a salted caramel swirl.
- 20 Kraft caramel squares or appx 1 cup caramel bites
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 ounces Bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 cups quick oats
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels and milk. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring each time. Caramel will be very hot and can burn easily. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. All the caramel to cool.
- Soften the butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Combine the softened butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the eggs, vanilla extract and bouron and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt (1 tsp) and baking soda. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until dough starts to form.
- Before the dough thickens, add the chocolate chips. Beat a couple of times until they start to incorporate.
- Once the caramel is melted and smooth (and cooled), add to cookie dough. Beat just until combined.
- Pre-scoop the dough using a large cookie scoop and place on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove each batch 10-15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes. The center of the cookie should be slightly under baked but not too gooey. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Recipes from Beyond Frosting
Recipes from my friends:
Bourbon Banana Cream Pie from Completely Delicious
Banana Bourbon Cupcakes from How Sweet It Is
Salted Caramel Bourbon Popsicles from Autumn Makes and Does