Homemade Bourbon Apple Pie Ice Cream is a perfect excuse to make dessert. The base of the ice cream is made with heavy cream, maple syrup, brown sugar, lots of cinnamon and a little bit of bourbon. The homemade apple pie filling is added to the ice cream for the perfect frozen treat.
As soon as I got my ice cream maker (and figured out how to use it), store bought ice cream has never been the same. This Bourbon Apple Pie Ice Cream is a dream come true. With the combination of flavors, each bite will leave you asking for more! Did you know it was Apple week? The second day of Apple Week with Lindsay sure doesn’t disappoint. She is sharing a Caramel Apple Layer cake today! Be sure to check out my post from Monday while you are here.
This recipe was inspired from my Peach Maple Walnut Ice Cream. The base of the ice cream is made with heavy cream, maple syrup, brown sugar, lots of cinnamon and a little bit of bourbon.
In order to make ice cream at home, you need to make sure all the ingredients are cold. That means that you should prepare the heavy cream mixture a couple hours in advance of making your ice cream, otherwise you will need to stick it in the freezer to help cool it off.
This also means that you need to prepare the apple pie filling in advance as well. I think it really helps to mash the apples like apple sauce instead of leaving them chunks. Big chunks of frozen apples aren’t always the easiest to eat! I left a few chunks in my ice cream but I prefer it to be more pureed that chunky.
I churn this ice cream on slow for about 10 minutes and then increase the speed. Then, I add the smashed apples directly to the ice cream mixture. It is best to add this in during the last couple of minutes. I really can’t resist having a few bites of ice cream right out of container, it has more of a custard consistency.
I usually freeze my ice cream for a few hours before I eat the rest. Sometimes if the ice cream over freezes, I let it thaw for about twenty minutes before serving. I just really like soft ice cream. When I was younger, I used to stir my ice cream until it reached a milk shake consistency. Old habits don’t die. With apple season under way, I know you need another way to use them all up!
Some helpful tools tools you need for this recipe include an ice cream tub for your freezer and an ice cream maker. I have the attachment for my KitchenAid mixer but if you don’t have a KitchenAid mixer, I hear this Cuisinart ice cream maker is really popular.
Keep up with all the happenings. Follow Beyond Frosting:Print
- For the filling
- 3–4 Medium apples, sliced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Bourbon
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Apple pie spice
- For the ice cream base
- 3 C Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/4 C Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Bourbon
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 C Walnuts, crushed
- Pre-freeze ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.
- Slice apples into small pieces and squeeze a lemon over top and stir to combine.
- Add brown sugar, flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, apple pie spice over top of apples. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Heat apples on the stove over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally. You want the apples to be mushy like apple sauce, instead of the larger chunks. Set aside and allow to cool completely, refrigerate if necessary.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine 2 cups of heavy cream, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon and cinnamon. Stir until mixture is boiling for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Refrigerate until mixture is completely cold. If mixture gets slightly firm, it may be reheated until liquid forms again. Return to the freezer to cool rapidly.
- Start your ice cream maker??before adding the liquid. Pour liquid in slowly and churn on low for 10 minutes until custard starts to form. Increase speed and churn for another 5 minutes. Pour the smashed apple pie filling into the ice cream. Add half of the crushed walnuts.
- Once mixture has reached custard form, stop the mixer and spoon into freezer safe container. Layer in remaining walnuts.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours.
The prep time and total time includes both the pre-freezing of your ice cream maker
Recipes from my friends:
Baked Apple Pie Egg rolls from Chef In Training
Spiced Caramel Apple Cake Roll from Crazy for Crust
Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream from Julie’s Eats and Treats
Other recipes you might like:
Stovetop Apple Pie filling