This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This Black Forest Poke Cake is a gooey chocolate cake filled with hot fudge and cherry pie filling. It is topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Please note this post is sponsored by Lucky Leaf Pie Filling, however all opinions are my own.
When I sat down to write this post, I thought to myself, I wonder who invented the original black forest cake and what its significance is in the dessert world. So I did what anyone in my position would do, and Googled it.
I learned the original black forest cake is a German dessert that has layers of chocolate cake, cherries, whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Different countries vary slightly from the original idea, and some countries make their cakes with alcohol. Traditionally, it seems like bakers in the United States do not make this cake with alcohol. Last fun fact, true black forest cakes are decorated with black cherries.
I will be the first to admit that I don’t love cherries. So it surprised me how much I loved this Black Forest Poke Cake. Cherries just seem kind of difficult to work with in my opinion. The whole pitting process is just too much for me!
This is where a canned cherry pie filling becomes your best friend! Thanks to my friends over at Lucky Leaf, you and I can both make this poke cake relatively quickly!
Are you familiar with the poke cake? It gets it name because after you remove it from the oven, you poke holes all over the top of the cake! I like to make large holes so that the toppings seep into the cake and it gets all ooey and gooey. This actually makes the cake spongy and “wet” , similar to a tres leches cake. It is also served cold, which I think might be my favorite way to enjoy cake.
The black forest poke cake is covered with a jar of hot fudge sauce. You know my theory, more chocolate is more betta! After that, you pour the can of cherry pie filling over the top of the cake and spread it out, you can also push some of the cherries into the cake.
I had to keep with tradition and cover this cake with fresh whipped cream. Trust me when I say that it is SOO much better than the alternative. But, if homemade whipped cream isn’t your thing, you can use Cool Whip too.
Don’t forget the chocolate shavings! This is really easy. You just need a chocolate bar, and a sharp knife. Take the knife and start making tiny cuts off the end of the bar and it should naturally break apart; sprinkle on top of cake.
The best thing about poke cakes is that they come together quickly, they can be made in advance and they are sure to wow your friends! Grab a can of Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie filling and make this cake this weekend!
Black Forest Poke Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 15 slices
This Black Forest Poke Cake is a gooey chocolate cake filled with hot fudge, topped with cherry pie filling and fresh whipped cream, and sprinkled with chocolate shavings.
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- Ingredients listed on the box: Eggs, Oil, Water etc. (Note that I used milk instead of water).
- 1 jar Hot fudge sauce (16 oz)
- 1 can Lucky Leaf Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 C Heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ C Powdered sugar
- Chocolate bar for shavings
- OR Cool Whip instead of whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix according to the ingredients on the box. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Bake cake in 9×13” for 20-22 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Heat the jar of hot fudge sauce in the microwave for about 30 seconds until you can stir it and thin it out. You may need an additional 30 seconds. Pour the jar of hot fudge sauce on the top of cake and allow it to absorb in the cake until cake is cooled. Let set until completely cooled.
- Open the jar of Cherry Pie Filling and pour over the top of the cake, spread evenly. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.). In cold mixing bowl, pour in heavy whipping cream and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of cake. Chop a chocolate bar into small pieces and sprinkle over the top of the cake. Keep refrigerated.
- Cool whip can be substituted for fresh whipped cream.
- For a homemade chocolate cake, I suggest my super moist chocolate cake
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Poke Cake Recipe, Chocolate Poke Cake, Black Forest Cake