This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
This Easy No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake recipe is made without Cool Whip or gelatin. It’s homemade chocolate cheesecake at it’s best and only needs a few simple ingredients! This cheesecake isn’t too sweet and pairs perfectly with any fruit topping.
Easy No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
This is one of those recipes that I credit entirely to my readers, because you guys are awesome! Earlier in the year, I shared by Best Ever No-Bake Cheesecake. Someone on Facebook asked me if I had a chocolate version, so naturally I had to make one!
The primary difference between the vanilla and the chocolate no-bake cheesecake is of course the type of chocolate that is used, but also for this cheesecake you can use cocoa powder to intensify the chocolate flavor.
There is plenty to be said about why this is the best No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake. The filling is silky, it’s airy but thick, similar to a regular baked cheesecake, but lighter in texture. It’s exactly what you want it to be.
I’ve been adapting this recipe over and over through the past couple of years, but the basics of this recipe have always been the same. It’s similar to the recipe for my No-Bake German Chocolate Cheesecake.
There’s plenty of cream cheese, mixed with homemade whipped cream, melted chocolate, vanilla extract and a touch of sugar. That’s right, there’s no Cool Whip in this recipe! Although if you really wanted to take a short cut, you could use Cool Whip instead of homemade whipped cream.
The melted chocolate makes all the difference here. My preference for this is a dark chocolate, and it must be high quality chocolate. This is not a recipe I would recommend using chocolate chips for because the chocolate chips generally aren’t as good, and some of them can be oily. Some of the options are Ghirardelli Chocolate Bars or Callebaut Callets– which are seriously amazing.
You need a little bit of granulated sugar to help sweeten the cream cheese and make it a little less tart. It’s best of your cream cheese is at room temperature because you can incorporate the ingredients much easier, especially when it comes to folding in the whipped cream.
You’ll also notice there is no gelatin in the filling. You don’t need it because the chocolate helps to really stabilize the filling.
For the crust, I opted for a standard Oreo cookie. Oreos make a nice and thick, buttery crust. Plus, the filling of the Oreos help adds some structure to the crust, so it holds together perfectly. Are any of you big crust fans? I know I am!
I have plenty of tips for preparing a crust in a spring form pan if you need it. However, if you don’t have a spring form pan, you can use a 9-inch square pan as long as it’s at least 3 inches deep because this cheesecake a little bit tall.
I suggest that you make the crust first and then prepare the filling. While you are preparing the filling, throw the crust in the freezer. This will help hold the crust together while you are spreading the filling.
Can I Freeze this Cheesecake?
This is one of my no-bake desserts that you CAN prepare ahead of time and freeze! I prefer to refrigerate this cheesecake first and allow the filling to set. Then I throw it in the freezer. I place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the cheesecake and then wrap it in aluminum foil. When ready, thaw this in the refrigerator, preferable overnight.
I always add my toppings prior to serving which would include any whipped cream, fruit or chocolate toppings.
One thing is for certain, this Easy No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake is simply irresistible with an intense chocolate cheesecake filling.
Follow Beyond Frosting:
If you love no-bake recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, No-Bake Treats!
This is the Easy No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake made without Cool Whip and no gelatin, this homemade chocolate no-bake cheesecake is so easy, just a few simple ingredients. This cheesecake isn’t too sweet and pairs perfectly with any fruit topping.
For the crust:
- 1 package (14.3 oz) Oreos
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
For the cheesecake filling:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 ½ cups + 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 16 ounces (2 pkgs) cream cheese (must be full fat)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- fresh fruit as desired
- For the crust: Prepare a 9-inch springform pan by lightly greasing the edges of the pan with cooking spray, and then wiping gently with a paper towel. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Grind the cookies into a fine crumb using a food processor or blender.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Pour the melted butter over the cookie crumbs and stir until the crumbs are well coated.
- Pour the crumbs into your springform pan and press firmly into the bottom and up on the sides to create a thick crust. Refrigerate the crust while you are preparing the filling.
- For the filling: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the dark chocolate and 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely smooth.
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Pour 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
- Beat the softened cream cheese until it’s completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Next add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating until smooth.
- Next add the melted chocolate, beating until it’s completely mixed into the cream cheese.
- Finally, slowly fold in the whipped cream in two batches until it’s completely smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared crust, spreading evenly. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours minimum.
- For the topping: Prepare another batch of whipped cream by placing your bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. To prepare the whipped cream, pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe the borders of the pie with whipped cream using a large open star tip. Garnish with fresh fruit. This cheesecake must stay refrigerated.
- This no-bake cheesecake can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for up to two days prior to serving. Otherwise freeze and defrost in the refrigerator the night before serving. The topping should be added before serving.
- You can use Cool Whip instead of homemade whipped cream for the filling or topping
- If you don’t have a spring form pan, this can be made in a 9-inch square pan that is at least 3-inches high
- You cannot use a pie plate because the filling and crust will be too much
- To intensify the flavor, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder together with the cream cheese and granulated sugar
- Category: Cheesecake
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cheesecake, No-Bake Cheesecake, Chocolate Cheesecake
You might also like: